About Habitat Canada Global Village builds
- Habitat Global Village volunteer teams are composed of 10 to 12 volunteers and are led by one or two volunteer team leaders (experienced volunteers who are trained and supported by Habitat Canada staff).
- Habitat Global Village builds duration lasts between nine to 12 days.
- No construction experience is required, just an open mind to learning new skills and methods to build a house.
- Volunteers must meet the minimum age requirements depending on the region. There is no maximum age limit provided there are no health concerns which may impede your participation.
- Volunteers fundraise for build costs and donations, the majority of which is tax receiptable.
There are two types of builds: open and closed.
An open build will be listed on our build opportunities page and individuals can join up with these teams who are looking for members.
A closed build is one that is privately organized by an individual or organization and are not posted to the website for the public. Teams can be organized if you have a group of 10 to 12 people who want to volunteer with Habitat Global Village.
If you are interested in putting together a team of volunteers from your school, business, community group or network of friends, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more.
To apply for a closed build, you will receive a unique build code from your volunteer team leader and can then visit our closed build opportunities page to apply. If you have not received your build code, please contact your volunteer team leader.
A meaningful experience
Habitat Global Village volunteers help empower local communities and families to build strength stability and self-reliance through shelter. We work where it matters most, at the heart of communities and alongside families, empowering them to significantly improve their lives.
As a volunteer, not only do you contribute your valuable time, your financial donation covers the costs needed to host you and supports the continued work of the local Habitat for Humanity you’re building with so that more families can access decent and affordable housing.
While you build houses or repair homes, you will deepen your understanding of poverty and housing issues affecting different communities in Canada and around the world. Habitat Global Village volunteer teams make a lasting impact that will continue long after you return home. While you may not see the work completed while you are onsite, your financial, emotional and physical contributions can be life-changing for those in the communities where you volunteer and an experience you will remember for years to come.
Your Habitat journey doesn’t have to end when you come home. You can volunteer to build locally, fundraise, lend your voice by advocating for affordable housing, and plan your next Habitat Global Village build.