Call for nominations: Habitat for Humanity Canada's National Board of Directors
Habitat for Humanity Canada is seeking outstanding individuals from across Canada to serve as external directors on our National Board of Directors.
Founded in 1985, Habitat for Humanity Canada is a national, nonprofit organization working toward a world where everyone has a decent and affordable place to call home. Habitat for Humanity brings communities together to help families build strength, stability and independence through affordable homeownership. With the help of volunteers, Habitat homeowners and 48 local Habitats working in every province and territory, we provide a solid foundation for better, healthier lives in Canada and around the world. Habitat for Humanity Canada is a member of Habitat for Humanity International, which was established in 1976 and has grown to become a leading global nonprofit working in more than 70 countries.
THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS:
Habitat for Humanity Canada is directed by a board of up to 15 directors holding oversight accountability for the organization’s mandate, brand strength, fundraising, health and safety and more. The Board guides strategic direction, hires and evaluates the CEO, and provides governance oversight to the day-to-day operations. This includes monitoring the organization’s effectiveness and service outcomes through a range of performance indicators. The board monitors the use of resources and the performance of local Habitat organizations across Canada and evaluates and improves its own governance effectiveness. In addition, Board members may act in an advocacy capacity and subject matter experts in various operating areas as needed.
OUR COMMITMENT TO BOARD DIVERSITY
The families and communities Habitat serves are diverse in many ways. By better reflecting this diversity in the makeup of our board, we will increase our understanding of how to best serve Habitat families, our ability to reach these families, and the full range of volunteers, partners and resources we need to help them.
THE POSITIONS AVAILABLE:
- We are currently seeking directors, preferably with experience on not-for-profit boards, who are passionate about our vision and understand the governance role of directors.
- In keeping with our commitment to diversity, we encourage applications from candidates who will bring an under-represented perspective to the national board by virtue of their racial or ethnic background, national origin, age, sexual orientation or identity, education, or disability.
- While all accomplished individuals will be considered, of particular interest will be those with experience in Public Accounting, Legal and Governance, Marketing (Digital), and Communications.
- Board members are expected to attend up to four face-to-face or videoconference board meetings per year, as well as occasional videoconference calls, and to participate in at least two Board committees. These are voluntary positions but travel costs for meetings in various parts of Canada will be reimbursed as per our expense policy.
- In 2023, there will be up to five (5) director vacancies, including a maximum of two (2) new or returning external board members. One position must be from Region 1 (British Columbia/ Yukon); the other board positions can be from any region.
- Candidates for external director roles are invited to apply directly to Habitat for Humanity Canada, while candidates for internal director roles are nominated by local Habitat organizations across Canada.
- More information about the National Board’s role and responsibilities and the nominating process, including application forms, can be found at here.
- Director terms are normally three (3) years in length (May 12, 2023, to May 2026).
- Completed application forms sent by email must be received by December 13, 2022, at 5:00 p.m. ET, and sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Completed forms sent by mail must be postmarked no later than December 13, 2022, and sent to:
Mr. Imran Thaver
Chair, Nominating Committee
c/o Brenda Aranha
Habitat for Humanity Canada
477 Mount Pleasant Road, Suite 403
Toronto, ON M4S 2L9
If you are interested in taking on this highly challenging volunteer board position to help families across Canada and around the world achieve safety and security through affordable housing solutions, please review the relevant documents above and complete the application form at the link below.
Nominations/Applications are now closed. Thank you to all who have applied.