Habitat for Humanity Canada’s Affiliate Success team is seeking an individual to join their warehouse team. Based out of Habitat for Humanity Canada’s Distribution Centre, this individual will be responsible for assisting staff and volunteers in the daily operations of receiving and shipping new donations.
The ideal candidate for this position will have a strong background in warehouse and logistics as well as experience working in a fast-paced workplace. You will enjoy a "for purpose" career in a great company culture, the pride of working with a world-renowned charity, and the gratification of giving back and helping families access safe, decent and affordable homeownership.
- Work with Warehouse Supervisor in shipping and receiving, unloading/loading trucks and checking in new donations
- Sort and place new donations on skids, shelves or in boxes according to organizational standards
- Completes pick-ups or deliveries by driving truck or van to and from donors and local Habitats
- Maintains inventory controls by weekly physical counts, recording amounts of donations received or distributed through a computer.
- Operate and maintain preventively warehouse vehicles and equipment
- Prepare orders by processing requests and Shopify orders; pulling materials; packing skids; labelling; placing orders in pick-up/delivery area
- Provide great customer to all ReStore staff and volunteers that pick up/drop off product at the Habitat for Humanity Canada’s Distribution Centre
- Communicate and cooperate with supervisors, coworkers and volunteers to help maintain a positive work and volunteer environment
- Maintain safe and clean work environment by keeping shelves, pallet area, and work stations neat; sweep, dust and mop. Organize warehouse and work area for orderliness at all times
- Wear the proper safety equipment
- Supervise any co-op students and volunteers, as needed, and report any concerns
- Perform office administrative duties as required
- Upholding all Habitat for Humanity Canada policies and procedures
- Act as an ambassador for Habitat for Humanity Canada
Physical demands and abilities
- Regularly required to use hands to finger, handle or feel, reach with hands and arms and talk or hear
- Regularly lift and/or move objects 10-50lbs occasionally lift and/or move objects that weigh more than 100 lbs.
- Frequently required to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl
- Occasionally required to sit and climb or balance
- 1-3 years’ relevant work experience in a related role.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office programs including Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook
- Proficiency in inventory software, databases and systems
- Inventory, equipment maintenance, data entry and computer skills will be required
- Ability to lift and/or move objects 10-50lbs occasionally lift and/or move objects that weigh more than 100 lbs.
- Valid forklift license an asset
- Must have valid driver’s license and maintain good driving record
Skills and Attributes
- Passion for the Habitat for Humanity mission
- Proven organization skills, excellent written and oral communications skills, pleasant
- phone manner
- Proven capacity to work in a directed and self-directed manner, as well as demonstrated capacity to work collaboratively with other staff and volunteers
- Able to communicate and work effectively with diverse people and persons with disabilities
- Positive and productive problem solving skills
- Good skills in typing, word processing, Excel and email communication
- Willingness to travel to conferences as required
How to Apply
Please note that we will be reviewing and evaluating applications on an ongoing basis and we therefore encourage early submissions.
Qualified and interested applicants are invited to forward their cover letter and resume as one document to email@example.com with the subject line: [Material handler]. Please indicate your salary expectations as well as where you saw the job posting.
Applications must be received before 5:00 PM EST on May 21, 2021
Accommodation will be provided in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code. Applicants need to make any accommodation requests for the interview or selection process known in advance. Habitat for Humanity Canada will arrange reasonable and appropriate accommodation for the selection process which will enable you to be assessed in a fair and equitable manner.
We thank all applicants for applying however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted (no phone calls please). We are a committed to Equal Opportunity Employment.
About Habitat for Humanity Canada
Founded in 1985, Habitat for Humanity Canada is a national, nonprofit organization working toward a world where everyone has a decent and affordable place to call home. Habitat for Humanity brings communities together to help families build strength, stability and independence through affordable homeownership. With the help of volunteers, Habitat homeowners and 50 local Habitats working in every province and territory, we provide a solid foundation for better, healthier lives in Canada and around the world. Habitat for Humanity Canada is a member of Habitat for Humanity International, which was established in 1976 and has grown to become a leading global nonprofit working in more than 70 countries.
About Habitat for Humanity ReStore
Habitat for Humanity ReStores are home and building supply stores that accept and resell quality new and used building materials, as well as furniture, appliances and home accessories to the public. The money generated is used to fund local Habitat for Humanity homebuilding projects and operations. It’s also an environmentally conscious decision, as much of what is sold is product that is new, gently used or customer returns that might otherwise end up in a landfill. There are over 100 Habitat ReStores across Canada.